Thanks for expressing your interest in applying to be an INSPIRE Mentor. We have provided you with some information below along with the application form.
INSPIRE Mentoring aims to assist young people aged 18-25 years to develop their own potential, and to own their future. Its concept is simple, to match successful professionals with young people from a similar background and to INSPIRE them to see opportunities in life that may not have been apparent to them previously.
We successfully launched a pilot, in Autumn 2020 and we now have over 100 young people been actively mentored.
What skills/experience do I need?
Anyone, regardless of the stage you're at in your career, can be a mentor. It's not about having a certain set of experiences or being at a specific level in an organisation. Being a good mentor is about having the right blend of soft skills and being able to apply them at the right time.
As a general overview, some positive attributes are:
- Being committed to the mentee and investing the necessary time to assist the mentee’s development
- Having good interpersonal and listening skills
- Respecting deadlines and meetings, rescheduling as required in as far in advance as possible
- Delivering constructive feedback in a positive and supportive way
- Understanding the needs and aspirations of the mentee
- Capable of managing the mentoring relationship, tracking progress and if needed, drawing the relationship to a successful close
For successful mentoring we ask you to meet regularly (minimum monthly) and for a period of up to one year.
Mentoring is online, flexible and can take place during the week, evenings or weekends.
Initially, you and your mentee will focus on getting to know each other and building trust. After this it is about setting and achieving goals.
Includes an application form, reference check and interview. Full training and ongoing support will be provided.
“She's one of the first in her family to attend university and with a young child it is sometimes a struggle to see the light. … seeing her relax a little more each week and growing all the time in confidence is really rewarding". INSPIRE Mentor
Interested? Please complete the Application Form and we will be in contact with you.
Innovate Communities are grateful to the following funders whose ongoing support facilitates the delivery of the INSPIRE mentoring programme and the development of our young people.